Introducing the 2016 Nancy Ray Book Club! For my 30th year (I turn 30 on the very last day 2016), I’ve decided to re-read all of my most life-changing books. Obviously the Bible is THE most life changing book I’ve ever read, so since that’s a “given” I decided to not include it in the list. I thought long and hard about this list, and there are so many wonderful books I’ve read through the years it was really tough to narrow it down! So I made some guidelines for myself, to help me choose which books to include and to help you understand the list I’ve chosen.
Here is my criteria for choosing my top 12 books:
– In some way or another, it had to be life changing. With each of these books listed, I had a significant change of heart, habits, or the way I approach some area of my life.
– The books cover a range of topics from marriage to business to spirituality to finances. Many of them are based in Christian principles, and a few of them are not.
– I had to have read them from cover to cover at some point in my life.
– No novels. While I truly enjoy novels, I know that book taste when it comes to novels varies quite a bit. Also, I wanted my 30th year reading to be more about shaping my character and habits.
Will was quite surprised I didn’t include anything by Dave Ramsey, given that his teachings have been some of the most life changing content we’ve encountered in our marriage. His most life changing content for us was not a book, but completing (and leading) Financial Peace University and The Legacy Journey, which we highly recommend! While his books are wonderful, I’d recommend the courses over his books any day, which is why his books didn’t make my list. One more thought – I regret not choosing a book about health or fitness! That is such a big part of my life. While I’ve read several life changing books on the topic, I have yet to read one that really encompasses what I believe / what works for me. So I left that genre off the list in favor of a few other favorites. Maybe I’ll find one I can wholeheartedly recommend in the future!
2016 Nancy Ray Book Club
How to Win Friends and Influence People
His Needs Her Needs
Practicing the Presence of God
4 Hour Work Week
The Celebration of Discipline
Simple Wealth Inevitable Wealth
Bonus Book Club (books I haven’t read yet):
So how do you join? It’s quite easy!
1. Sign up for the Nancy Ray News in the sidebar of this blog. You will receive monthly guidelines for reading to help you stay on track.
2. Tune in every Friday at 10am on Periscope (or as often as you are able)
3. Read as many books as you choose! You can read the ones you choose, all 12, or you can go the extra mile and join the bonus book club and read the additional 4 unread books I’ll be reading this year as well.
4. Use the #nancyraybookclub on social media as you read along, so we can cheer one another on and stay on track.
You guys, I’m going to be honest here. I am so pumped and SO nervous about this. I absolutely love to read, but as a new mama, I’m finding it is very hard to read like I used to. My hope is that I will lead this group and view it as daily homework I must do. My hope is to prioritize this in order to be stretched and learn and help you do the same. Ultimately, my prayer is that I would grow as a believer, wife, and mama by hosting this book club.
Does it scare you too? GOOD. I hope it does! We can be scared together. I hope if you’re “not a reader” you will throw that self-limiting talk aside and join us. I will break it down for you every week. And if you do miss a week? There’s grace for that! You can catch up in your own time or on our periscopes together!
My favorite part about this list is that if you choose just ONE of these books to read, I’m convinced your life will be changed. So why not? Why not do something new and hard for 2016? Join us!
And please comment below if you DO plan to join! I’d love to hear from you!
Sign Up to Receive our FREE PDF - "5 Steps to Preserve Your Legacy Through Photographs"
And join The Nancy Ray News!