“Five years from today, you will be the same person that you are today, except for the books you read and the people you meet.”
― Charlie Jones
My Dad used to tell me that quote all the time when I was growing up. I always thought it was an exaggeration, until I became a reader. Now I believe it with all of my heart.
Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking a lot about my book choices. If you know me at all, you know that I love to read. I try to at least read 1 book/month: I call it "12 in 12" on my goals, and this year I upped it to "15 in 12." I have 3 Pinterest Boards dedicated to books that I recommend: 1. Life + Faith, 2. Business, 3. Enjoyment. I also tag my books with #nancyrayreads on Instagram, which has been a really fun way to share what I'm currently reading! So yes, I'm a reader. I absolutely love books, and believe that 1 good book can change your life forever.
I began thinking of how I choose the books I read, and how I have time to read them all. I thought I would share that with you today, in hopes to turn you into a reader too! Here is my simple philosophy on choosing and reading books:
1. Only select books that come recommended by a trusted source
2. Choose a balance of books that touch on every aspect of life
3. Read a little every day (I read at least 15 pages/day, during my morning routine)
4. Read one book at a time
It's really a simple philosophy! And it works for me. I know it may not work for you, but I've acheived a lot of success when abiding by these 4 guidelines. My husband would disagree with #4 - he loves to read several books at once. I, however, am not a multitasker like he is! I like to read 1 book at a time. The point is - do what works for you.
This year, I am basing my book choices on the Life Balance Wheel. (Note: There are several versions of the Life Balance Wheel, but I like Zig Ziglar's Wheel of Life best.) This way, I can make sure I am reading books to enhance each major category of my life. I believe that a well balanced life is a happy life, and that is what I strive for even in my readings.
Before reading my 2013 Book list, you'll notice a few things:
1. There is an uneven number of books in each category. That's because I just keep adding to my list of books I want to read, and when I find a new one I place them in the appropriate category. I might not get to all of the listed books in 2013, but I will roll them over to 2014 if needed.
2. Some are marked with an asterisk (*). Those mark the books I have already read this year.
3. There are more categories than listed in the Wheel of Life. That's because I have split some of the categories into two, in order to create more specific categories to accurately reflect my life.
5. The "Social Relationships" Category books all fall within other categories, since they are books that I am simply reading with my small group, book club, or friends. (Ex: Greater = Spiritual, Leadership Matters = Career.)
So, here we go!
Nancy Ray Reads : 2013 Book List
- Descending into Greatness
- The Monk and the Merchant*
- Think and Grow Rich*
- Martha's Rules
- The Art of Possibility
- Unnecessary Endings
Marriage and Family Relationships
- The Meaning of Marriage
Social Relationships: Book Clubs and Small Group readings
- Daring Greatly*
- Leadership Matters (Currently Reading)
- What you do best in the body of Christ
Personal + Intellectual Development
- His Excellency George Washington
- Boundaries for Leaders
Health (Physical Well-Being)
- Wheat Belly
- Born to Run
Rest and Relaxation (Physical Well-Being)
- The Great Gatsby*
- The Storyteller
I hope this helped you! I encourage you... no, I implore you! Become a reader if you're not one already. It takes a little self discipline, and it pays off greatly.
Please leave a comment with any books you recommend that I add to my list! I would love to hear from you!